Exterior Light Choices, Installation, Troubleshooting
Wondering a way to make a dramatic change to your landscape without breaking the bank? Decorative exterior lights are the solution. Aside of providing curb appeal to your home, it can also provide safety and security for you and your family.
Choosing Exterior Lights
There are many shops that offer different styles of exterior lights Australia wide. That means you will across a wide range of exterior lights designs, styles, colors and size, and should be able to find what you are looking for with easily.
To make choosing exterior lights a little simpler, first determine what lighting effect you’re trying to achieve. Tier lights on walkways and steps help create a safer passage while floodlight is a great choice to lighten dark areas around windows and doors. With a little effort and with the help of a salesperson you will be able to create a landscape that will cause all your neighbors to be jealous.
Installing Exterior Lights
- Connect the transformer. For that follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
- Lay the cable. Low-voltage cable can be covered with decorative stones or wood chips, or simply hidden under foliage or bushes.
- Use a lawn edger to cut just the right depth in the ground to bury the cable. Make a cut in the garden surface at a 45-degree angle, pull up the sod, place the cable in and put the sod back into place.
- Place the light fixtures where you want them and make the adjustments necessaries to achieve the desired lighting effect.
- If the system comes with an automatic timer, set it to the desired on/off times.
- Here are some of the most common troubleshooting and how to solve the issues you may experience.
- The lights are dim – Check for loose connections, loading on transformer (VA rating shouldn’t be loaded ) and run length (runs over published length may be too dim)
- Just one light is out – Before trying anything else, try another light bulb and check Quick Disc or splice for a the firm connection.
- The system isn’t working – Check power source, on-off switch, and try covering the photo eye with tape, wait two minutes.
- What the Quick connect is not connecting – Check the 12/2 cable. If it is not a Kichler cable, dimensions of outer jacket may be wrong for your connector.
According to exterior lights Australia experts, outdoor lighting will also help to deter crime since it makes your home a safer place to walk after dark. They say that a well-lit home discourages criminal trespassing.